Beginning with its establishment in 1758, the porcelain manufactory underwent an eventful history of failures and refoundings. It was dissolved for the first time in 1824, at which time its collection of approximately 450 design sketches and some 2,000 prints was transferred to the Königliches Kupferstichkabinett – the royal graphic arts collection – in Stuttgart. From these extensive holdings, the Department of Prints, Drawings and Photographs is now presenting the most beautiful preliminary sketches for porcelain production until 28 September 2008.
The characteristic designs by Gottlob Friedrich Riedel form the core of the exhibition, for example the elaborately decorated ceremonial vessels, his highly individual figural depictions of the months or the service with the scale pattern. A group of vessels with horned and winged dragonheads – presumably inventions by the prominent court painter Nicolas Guibal – are a further highlight of this collection presentation.
A number of documents containing explicit instructions and construction aids for the modelers moreover provide insight into the process of porcelain production from the design to its practical realization. Selected original pieces of Ludwigsburg porcelain will likewise be on view in the exhibition, giving visitors the opportunity to compare the preliminary sketches and designs directly with the finished products.
Simultaneously with the presentation »With Raised Ornamentation«, the Landesmuseum Württemberg will be showing the special exhibition »Luxury and Festivity in the Rococo. Duke Carl Eugen’s Venetian Fair«. The two institutions are supporting the projects reciprocally with loans from their collections.